header

Don Cornelius

As host of US TV’s quintessential black / dance music show, Soul Train, Don Cornelius, who died today, aged 75, was an iconic black music figure. Everyone who was anyone in the Soul and Funk world appeared on the programme during its 70’s heyday. Film director Spike Lee would aptly describe it as an “urban music time capsule."

He co-founded Soul Train Records with Dick Griffey in 1975, the label enjoying success via Shalamar, The Whispers and Carrie Lucas, before Cornelius decided to focus all his attention on the TV show, which was a major hit  (Dick Griffey going on to greater achievements with the SOLAR label - Sound of Los Angeles Records).

Chicago born Cornelius, who hosted Soul Train between 1971 and 1993, took his own life at his California home, dying from gunshot wounds.

Here he is introducing the famed 'Soul Train Line', which was a key feature of the programme.

Give yourself a treat and check out some more clips from the show, there are literally hundreds on YouTube.

Don Cornelius Wikipedia:

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Don Cornelius

1. Scottie Caride February 4, 2012 at 2:41 am #

We are up in here talkin' 'bout Soul Train, Bandstand, Dance Fever, Midnight Special, Solid Gold! Don seemed like a pimp. Awesome!My husband's family was previously good friends with Mark Sellers who won Star Search dancing with his sister and proceeded to be a Solid Gold dancer and do many Michael Jackson videos. I really hope he's busting a relocate honor of Don today.

2. Cristobal Sao February 4, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Watching American Bandstand,then Soul Train on Saturday mornings and dancing like happy epileptics would have been a great way to start the weekend....Singers needs to be those who is capable of doing with dignity.It would be best to have people who appeared on Soul Train during its peak years. Any ideas,hussies?

3. Virgilio Templeton February 4, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

Watch it yourself and you may see him. If the camera hits him, he points at it like The government. SuperFly Don Cornelius!!!!!

4. Arturo Maggs February 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Watching American Bandstand,then Soul Train on Saturday mornings and dancing like happy epileptics was obviously a great way to start the weekend. It turned out always following a slumber party at a friend or cousin's house. Aretha Franklin singing "Rock Steady" could be the first one I remember-I concerned five and would hula-hoop like Alvin on speed. Does anyone remember "the Bump"? The Afro-Sheen commercials were so fly. Even though Don Cornelius's funeral is entirely private,I expect you will have a memorial/tribute show for him. Singers should be those who can perform with dignity.It could be best to have people who appeared on Soul Train during its peak years. Any ideas,hussies?

5. Ralph Randell February 5, 2012 at 2:22 am #

Nice one Greg
    Don was An Icon , a living legend ...bringing a Black version of "American bandstand" to the masses

Just wish we could have seen it "back in the day " on english TV
    I was watching a bit of a show recently with him dancing ( very rare) with Mary WIlson of the
    Supremes ...He looked good and had all the moves ...I think the audience where well impressed
    I will close with his catchphrase .......Peace Love and Soul and a heartfelt wish ...." float on soul brother "

6. Maz February 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

I never get tired of watching old episodes or clips of Soul Train so when I heard of the tragic passing of Don Cornelius, I instantly thought what a sad ending to such a pioneering man and career.

Soul Train instantly transports me back to my childhood and growing up in my family home. Rolling up the rug and dancing along to the programme as well as being in awe and inspired of the music and acts it featured each week.

He exposed to the masses a new way of looking at black-oriented television. He opened up the doors and made people extremely happy about dance, music and style, It's a culmination of many things, a legacy and that definitely will always make me smile.

Please see the following flashmob in the Soulmans honour and Don if your listening.......

"RIP and I wish you love, peace and SOUL"